Servant of the High Priest
(Luke 22:36-37, 49-51)
Born a Jew,
But not quite of noble birth.
Family of servants
To the temple of Abba’s worth.
Became of age
Then assigned to the High Priest.
Serving always
The rituals never to cease.
A spirit thrives:
The spirit of religion.
Humanity’s bane,
The bittersweet addiction
The way seems right;
How may my righteousness increase?
Long prayers, condemning stares?
Hypocritical? or religious peace?
Confusion sets in.
Why all the pride and sneers,
When the LORD
God has not spoken in 400 years?
Oh, forget it,
There’s work to be done tonight:
Arrest a man
Who’s not of this way that seems right.
A heretic,
Heathen, demon-possessed is He.
How was I to know
He is the One who sets men free?
But we depart
One of His friends leading the way.
This man must be bad
His own friend willing to betray.
Two swords they have
Quite a violent crew they must be.
Unaware, I was,
That these two swords were meant for me.
Flash of steel
Pain and blood rush rampantly high.
My eyes then meet
Those of the Man condemned to die.
“No more of this,”
Says He, whose eyes are filled with LOVE;
Stoops to the ground,
Picks up my ear, covered with my blood.
Next comes the touch.
The heat doubles, triples, then fades.
Did He just...?
Speechless, gaping, I stand amazed.
Love’s first touch
Religion can’t provide you see?
And the sword’s blow,
Two nights ago I was reading in Luke 22 about the last Passover Supper Jesus ate with His disciples before He was arrested and crucified. I came across these few verses:
35 Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”
“Nothing,” they answered.
36 He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”
38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”
“That’s enough!” he replied.
Whoa... Jesus told them to buy swords?? Whaaaaaat? I was so confused.
"Jesus, what did You mean by this??? I'm clueless."
Then last night I finished the next section of Him getting arrested in the garden:
47 While he was still speaking a crowd came up, and the man who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He approached Jesus to kiss him, 48 but Jesus asked him, “Judas, are you betraying the Son of Man with a kiss?”
49 When Jesus’ followers saw what was going to happen, they said, “Lord, should we strike with our swords?” 50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest, cutting off his right ear.
51 But Jesus answered, “No more of this!” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.
Oh wow........ This guy, the servant of the high priest, he just got touched and healed by Jesus!
Had Jesus never said what He said about buying swords and whatnot, the disciples might not have even had swords that night, this guy's ear never would have gotten cut off, and he never would have gotten touched by The Father. Ah... now that makes more sense....
No comments:
Post a Comment